Monday, 24 February 2014

♥ Hearty Blog-Lovin' ♥

image of gift box tied with ribbon and a crochet heart
  I was chuffed to bits by the fantastic response I received on my Moroccan Crochet Votive Pattern. It never ceases to amaze me just where in the world it has been viewed, so I'd like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to those of you who left such lovely words of encouragement and enthusiasm for my Cosy design, and a big Hello! to my new followers.

It's back to the normal routine here for me after a very enjoyable homely half term break spent with my two girlies. After a week of lazy pj mornings we did not enjoy the early morning rush at all! There was a lot of grouching and grumbling this morning - especially from my youngest, age 5, who declared she could not go back to school because she could only breathe through one nostril. Ha nice try my little cute grumpy-lump!
I'd like to share with you some of my recent Valentine's makes and bakes which were sourced in this wonderful Blog-Land of ours. It's always choc-a-block full of inspirational crafts and creativity and was especially full to the rafters of ideas for this special time of the year. I had a particularly hard time picking which ones to make!

The first obvious choice was crochet hearts  - there are so, so many free patterns out there, it was hard to choose which one. This one is my all time favourite...
image of a crochet heart
It's by Pinkfluffywarrior and the pattern can be found here. Very cute and simple to make...love it.
 Thank you Hayley!

So what's in the box for my husband's Valentine present?...
image of home-made whiskey truffles
...some yummy Home-made Whiskey Truffles. I couldn't get over how easy, inexpensive and enjoyable these were to make. I mean why haven't I thought about making these before now!? I think they are so much nicer than the shop bought ones - and very moreish too. My husband absolutely loved them...so did I ;-D 
The great thing is you can use different types of chocolate, with or without alcohol/liqueur, and coatings to suit your own taste. I made a few different batches of them using different ingredients...
image of milk choc truffles with sprinkles
One for the children...they didn't last long! And a nutty variety...

image of home-made truffles
I'd like to have a go at making rum truffles next. I'll definitely be making these for special occasions like family birthdays and for when that chocolate craving hits. You can find the how-to at Chrissiecrafts on this post.
Thanks so much for sharing this 'Easy Indulgence' Chrissie!

Each year I try and make a Valentine card, but this year I'd ran out of ideas (there are only so many crochet heart cards a man can take!). Then I saw paper heart bunting, and knew it was just what I was looking for. Here's what they looked like...
image of personalised Valentine paper heart bunting
Luckily my husband's name is very short so I only had to make three. I crocheted his name and hung the letters from each heart to personalise it. It didn't cost me a penny as I already had all the materials to hand... the lovely patterned paper came with a craft magazine I'd bought a year ago... string to hang it on...and crochet cotton (which I always have in my stash). The heart lights were a £2 bargain from Asda which I simply wrapped around the string to jazz it up.
They were so easy and quick to make and were such a great alternative to a card. He has put his bunting in the study now (he works from home most days), and the lights live on my eldest daughter's headboard -  they look lovely in her heart themed bedroom. I'll be making some more of these to hang around the house in the summer months.
Go to eclectichomelife blog to find out how to make these lovelies. Oh yes this lady does love her hearts!
 Thank you Selma for sharing this wonderfully simple and effective idea with us.

Here are some more heart themed projects which I absolutely love, and will hopefully make in the future...
 http://cosmosandcotton.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/valentines-treats-little-drawstring.html
This is a great post choc full of super ideas. 
Thanks for sharing this Hannapat.

and I would love to one day make a beautiful quilt like this one found over at Joyjinkscreations. It's so gorgeous. 
Thanks for sharing this with us Joy

The thing I love most of all about each one of these projects is that they can be made any time of the year - a heart is for life not just for Valentine's Day! 
I U Blog-Land XXXX

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you like the truffles! All your versions look so yummy...and presented beautifully! I do love the inspiration found in Blogland...thanks for the link to mine! Chrissie x ps I know I'm already a follower by email,but I just added myself to the google followers as well - there's something about seeing all those little faces on your sidebar... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you had a great week and a lovely Valentines Day, all of your heart and love projects are so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogland is amazing for inspiration. Those chocolates look scrummdidly and the paper bunting looks very effective... and a unique idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed this post and it's so lovely to see that you celebrated Valentine's Day so well and - can I say - 'heartily'!
    Thanks also for including the links and for being so complimentary about my little heart quilt - you're so kind! I hope your week is going well and you're able to catch up on crafting now the littlies are back to school! Hugs, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A belated thank you for including me on your post. I do love hearts, it is true. I think your paper hearts turned out well and adding the crochet name below was genius. Again thanks for the link ♥ I have another heart posting since you last saw... http://eclectichomelife.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/lavender-filled-jane-foster-hearts.html

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments - I read every single one. It makes me so happy that you took a minute to drop by and say hello.
Thank you ♥