Friday, 28 March 2014

Yarn Bombed Storage Basket


image of yarn bombed basket
Whilst at the hairdressers a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of reading a lovely magazine called Style at Home. The contents ranged from info on small scale accessories for the home to fully fledged kitchen makeovers - I thoroughly enjoyed and absorbed every page. There were two features in there that got my creative mind a-flowing. One I am revealing today - the other has been logged in my creative notebook for the future.
image of Ikea metal storage basket
This storage basket from Ikea was one of the items featured in there and as soon as I clapped eyes on it I just knew I had to go and get it because I had *A Plan* - I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it, and the idea would not leave my mind alone for a minute.

Now I think in it's original state it's quite aesthetically pleasing if used in the kitchen, but I didn't want it for that. You see I have a dream, a b-i-g dream, but one that isn't too unrealistic if I can just set my sights on it and work hard, but still for the moment it's a dream...and that is to have my very own studio/craft room. My winter craft area is the living room either on the dining table or in a comfy chair by the fire, and during the warmer months I craft in the conservatory. My yarn, fabric, haberdashery items and sewing machine live in various wardrobes upstairs in my house, and I would be ecstatically happy to have a designated crafting area where everything is in it's place and there's a place for everything. So I wanted to yarn bomb and prettify this basket in a woolly way so I can hopefully one day sit it on my work table in my dream studio-office-work-space of the future where it would look very much at home. 

The idea didn't start with this Ikea basket, I'd already had a yarn bombing project in my mind, and it is this...
image of metal heart memo holder
...it's a metal heart memo holder which lives in my kitchen. I really would love to give this a makeover! First I think I'll spray paint it with a nice light shade to brighten it up, then using these ready made loops around the outside...
image of close up of metal heart memo holder
I was thinking of working a bobble stitch in each metal loop or making a pretty lacy border around with the addition of a few pom poms maybe - I don't know yet...it may actually turn out completely different to what I initially imagined.
That's just what happened with my basket idea...you see I hadn't planned on what the finished basket would look like, but I had imagined crocheting a stripy yarn jacket to fit around the vertical bars of the basket...which after numerous attempts just didn't work out, it was too tricky a task, it didn't look right, plus I would have needed a U shaped hook to work around the bars - which I'm pretty certain doesn't exist.
I did think of cutting strips of fabric and winding them around the bars which is an easier option if you don't know how to crochet, but for me it HAD to be a crocheted jacket of some description. In the end I decided to keep it very simple and to go with a design that worked well with the square shape of the basket, and what better than the basic granny square of course!

I bought the yarn from Black Sheep Wools which I visited a few weeks back for the first time. This shop is lovely with very helpful, friendly staff. They have a huge selection of different yarns to choose from at great competitive prices (if they stocked Drops yarn - which I love and I know is very popular with a lot of you, then it would be the perfect yarn shop).
This is the yarn that caught my eye as its quite unusual and I've never come across it before. It's called Rosas by Schachenmayr (smc for short) and it was on sale. I also bought two pom pom makers by Clover which were also on special offer. Here are the colours I bought...
image of SMC Rosas yarn

close up image of Rosas yarn
What I love about this yarn is the contrasting shiny coloured yarn on the inside of the strand with multi coloured bobbles for added interest. They make the most sweet colourful pom poms. Just look -
image of pom pom
Pom pom POW!
image of pom pom
 How gorgeous is that! What a riot of colour.
image of granny square
This pretty trim compliments the colours of the yarn perfectly. I love those little beads. The colours and the beads remind me of  beautiful Indian Saris.
close up image of colourful beaded trim
I had to stop myself from getting carried away and adding more pom poms. Although I may add more crochet to the sides of the basket in the future, but for now I'm happy with the way it is. Pretty bonkers don't you think?!! That's why I love it so much - it's all mine, it's unique and I had heaps of fun making this. This was my first attempt at yarn bombing and I don't think it will be my last!
image of yarn bombed basket
The moment it was finished it was put to good use - I carry and store my current WIP in it... my crochet daffodils. I will try and write the pattern and tutorial next week to share with you.
image of Amjaylou's crochet daffodils
So until then I bid you all a fond adieu. Have an enjoyable weekend. Ttfn.
XXXX

Edit to Add: You can see some other people's wonderful inspirational craft room ideas on my Pinterest board

4 comments:

  1. Oh that is gorgeous - it reminds me of Kaffe Fassett colours, brilliant! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little basket is wild! All the colours, the textures, the yarns...you have compressed all the creativity of a craft studio into one small basket! Amazing! Oh, and those little bobbles are like sweet jewels, I want me some! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fantastic! So bright and colourful.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking when I saw the first of your photos that it looked like a garden somehow and that some flowers would look great in the basket, and then, lo and behold you have filled it with your daffodils - more yarn bombing!! It looks greatly great with or without daffodils in!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments - I read every single one. It makes me so happy that you took a minute to drop by and say hello.
Thank you ♥